15 October 2007

Respect

Anyone who really knows me, knows that I am a pretty laid back guy. I’m not overly aggressive or mean, and I’m not overly-military in nature. I am usually pretty laid back and calm. There are, however, instances when I am forced to go into what I call “Petty Officer Mode.” In those few times, a side of me comes out that I detest and despise… but he comes out for a good reason.

Some background… on the situation

About three and a half days ago I was awoken at about 1 AM for a non-emergent issue… (i.e. they woke me for a heat stress monitor.) I told the 3rd class (E-4) that since he was the one who checked it out, he was to return it to me himself first thing the next morning. Today, he came into my office to take a medical exam, and I asked him calmly about the whereabouts of my monitor. He flat out lied to me and said that the Engineers were still using it. I asked him if they were using it continuously for 72 hours and he just kept saying that they were using it. I reminded him that I had issued him a lawful order when he checked out my rather expensive equipment, and he failed to comply and that his disobeying of the order was unsatisfactory. He didn’t respond just then… he came back about 20 minutes later with a friend to try and chew me out…

Back to the story…

So he arrives at my door, walks into my office uncovered; points his finger at my chest and face and says:

“HM2, don’t you EVER YELL at me again, do you understand me!”

This caught me a little off guard and I had to stop and think about what they hell was going on… I had a lower ranking shipmate, coming into my office (my house) yelling and raising his voice at me, about my conduct in my office! To make matters worse, he was in a threatening stance and had a friend behind him for backup. He kept raising his voice, and I countered back with:

“GSM3, you are out of line, and you need to lower your voice in my office…” He continued to yell and repeat his order… I continued… “You also need to check your tone with me, because the last time I checked, this is MY office and I am a Second Class Petty Officer in the United states Navy!”

He continued… “DON’T EVER YELL AT ME AGAIN, DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!”

I was losing my patience… so in true military style I countered with:

“POP TALL! Stand at the position of attention!” to which he did without realizing it. “GSM3, when you enlisted, you took an oath to obey the orders of those appointed over you, I gave you a lawful order 3 days ago to which you failed to comply; not only did you fail to comply, but when I asked you about it, you blatantly lied to me…” he interrupted me yet again:

“HM2, just don’t yell at me…”

“GSM3, I am not yelling at you, but I swear that if you interrupt me again before I am done talking I will start to yell at…” he pointed his finger at my face again and interrupted:

“Just DON’T YELL AT ME AGAIN!!!” to which I went into what I like to call “Petty Officer Mode…” my voice became demonic and Drill Instructor like:

“GSM3, ONCE AGAIN, YOU ARE DISRESPECTING ME IN MY OFFICE…” he interrupted yet again…

“YOU ARE DISRESPECTING ME!”

“GSM3… IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT DISRESPECT, LET’S GO TALK WITH THE EXECUTIVE OFFICER RIGHT NOW, AND YOU CAN EXPLAIN TO HIM HOW YOU CAME INTO MY OFFICE WITH YOUR FRIEND, POINTED YOUR FINGER AT ME REPEATEDLY AND ISSUED ME AN ORDER IN A THREATENING MANNER TO “NOT TALK TO YOU” BETTER YET, LET’S GO TALK TO THE COMMAND MASTER CHIEF… OR HOW ABOUT THE ENTIRE CHIEF’S MESS… IF YOU LIKE, WE CAN GO HAVE A DISCIPLINARY REVIEW BOARD RIGHT NOW FOR YOUR INSUBORDINATION…” tears started welling in his eyes as the gravity of the situation started to sink in. His friend who originally was there as intimidation and back up, started to chuckle at the hilarity of the situation. “THIS CONVERSATION IS THROUGH, AND YOUR LIBERTY WILL BE SECURED UNTIL I RECEIVE MY EQUIPMENT BACK. CARRY ON SMARTLY SHIPMATE!”

His friend put his hand on his shoulder and told him that they should go talk to his chief. I agreed and with that he did an about face and marched off.

When you go through basic training, you are taught military bearing and etiquette.. if someone out ranks you, you do not have to like them, but you do need to respect their rank. The problem is that once the recruits leave the confines of RTC, they forget all that is instilled in them and start acting like they did before they came into the Navy. While I will admit that I am not the greatest at holding my tongue, I do ALWAYS maintain the necessary tact and respect afforded to those who out rank me. I have to. I took an oath to. There is no respect these days with these kids. It’s sad… there isn’t even a common cultural respect for elders anymore… this kid was probably about 19… I’m just upset that I had to go into “Petty Officer Mode.” There have only been about 4 instances when I have had to, and those who were on the opposite end never enjoy the experience… (Everyone else watching though equate it to something out of Full Metal Jacket.) I just hope I don’t have to resort to that alter ego for a long time to come.

No comments: